Former President Donald Trump
Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post via Getty Images
Trump has “moved on” from the Mar-a-Lago search in his personal life, a former campaign official said.
Trump may also use the raid as a springboard for his 2024 presidential campaign, sources told NBC News.
Sources also expressed concerns that Trump was not taking the legal threat seriously enough.
Former President Donald Trump may be airing his grievances about the Mar-a-Lago raid on social media, but sources who have interacted with him recently claim he’s moved past it and is looking towards the future — as in, a 2024 run for president.
“He’s already moved on. It’s business as usual for him,” Michael Caputo, a former Trump campaign and administration official, told NBC. Caputo served as the assistant secretary of public affairs in the Department of Health and Human Services under Trump.
GOP Rep. Randy Weber of Texas, who dined with Trump following the raid, told NBC that the former president was “pretty miffed, but measured.”
After the FBI searched Trump’s Palm Beach, Florida, home and seized 11 sets of classified documents, Trump and other prominent Republicans decried the FBI’s actions, with some even calling to “Defund the FBI.”
Trump himself has spent much of his time since the raid shifting his explanations about the materials that were at Mar-a-Lago and claiming that the raid was politically motivated. He even went so far as to claim, without evidence, that the FBI planted evidence while in his home.
Meanwhile, the former president is dealing with multiple state and federal investigations, including an investigation into whether or not the former president interfered in Georgia’s 2020 election.
Behind the scenes, however, sources told NBC that Trump is more determined to announce his 2024 presidential run and is pleased by the millions in donations he received since the Mar-a-Lago raid. At one point, the former president was receiving $1 million a day, The Washington Post reported.
Sources told NBC Trump may announce his candidacy in November, after the midterms, but some also said they worry the former president isn’t taking the legal action against him seriously enough.
“Look, when I spoke to him it was kind of weird. It was like he didn’t really care about all of this going on or didn’t take it seriously,” an anonymous source close to the president told NBC. “He thinks it’s all bullshit.”
An application cover sheet for Trump’s search warrant, unsealed on Thursday, revealed Trump may be guilty of willful retention of national defense information, concealment or removal of government records, and obstruction of a federal investigation.
A lawyer familiar with Trump’s team told Insider’s Sonam Sheth and Camila DeChalus on Friday that they believed Trump could soon face serious criminal charges.
“He should be worried about all these investigations,” the lawyer said. “I think he’s a target of all of them and I think he’ll get indicted.”
Representatives for Trump did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.